The most prominent ingredient is the spice mixture called garam masala, a fragrant and flavorful medley of ground spices that is a key part of cuisines from multiple regions across the Indian subcontinent.
Below is our version of the dish, including our variation of garam masala.
Chicken Tikka Masala
- Toast all the spices, except the bay leaves and nutmeg, until warm and fragrant.
- Move to the EXPEDITOR™ 600S Series Culinary Blender, add bay leaves and nutmeg and grind until fine. When cool, store in an air-tight container.
- When ready, add all the ingredients for the marinade to the EXPEDITOR™ 600 Series Culinary Blender and purée.
- Butterfly the chicken breast and marinate, refrigerated for at least three hours, up to overnight.
- In a large pot, toast ground spices for one minute. Add butter, garlic, ginger and cook an additional minute. Reduce heat to medium-low, add salt and tomato paste and cook for an additional two minutes. Deglaze with water.
- Transfer to the EXPEDITOR™ 600 Series Culinary Blender and process until smooth. Put back into the same large pot.
- Prepare a hot grill and brush with oil. Remove chicken marinade and wipe off any excess yogurt.
- Cook chicken, rotating and flipping once, until dark grill marks are achieved and juices run clear. Move to a plate to rest. Once cool enough to handle, cut into ¾” cubes and add to sauce with any of the chicken’s drippings.
- Add heavy cream and simmer until sauce is shiny and slightly thickened, 5-10 minutes. Serve with Basmati rice.